Every time we thought, "What is that?" There was a beach naturalist (tan caps) to answer our question in detail. Here's where you check the low tide schedule. And, according to the Aquarium Naturalists page, they will be out again on July 5th (a perfect post-4th of July activity!).
And now, here are our top 5 beach combing tips:
- Dress for beachcombing. Even though its sunny, we found a light wind breaker and, of course, boots or old shoes to be indespensible.
- Bring snacks. We walked at least a mile checking out the many starfish and anemones and got hungry and thirst faster than I had anticipated. We had lunch in the car but a few well-timed snacks would've helped in the end.
- Wet your fingers before touching the creatures.
- Don't forget the hats, sun screen and a camera.
- Pack for walking, bending and exploring. We used a backpack which had a few essentials and left our hands free for checking things out.