- Have regular family meals: They’re predictable and help cement healthy eating habits. You may even hear a tid bit about your kid’s day that they didn’t want to share with you when you asked, “how was your day?”
- Serve a variety of healthy foods; limit fast food, sugary drinks, and low-nutrient snacks.
- Act as a role model by eating healthy ourselves– talk about feeling full, eating in moderation, and so on.
- Avoid battles over food and don’t use food as a bribe or a bargaining chip.
- Involve kids in the shopping and cooking process. We talk about ingredients to prepare them to make good decisions on their own about the foods they want to eat.
We believe that the mealtime habits we help create now can lead to a lifetime of healthier choices. We are always looking for tips in this area and would love to hear yours in the comments section.